Nonna sauce 101, your Italian grandmothers authentic marinara sauce.
It’s back to basics with this recipe. We’ll be making Authentic Marinara sauce with Fresh Tomatoes by roasting the tomatoes, basil, onion and garlic in the oven.
Best to use a dutch oven, or another heavy duty pan with a lid – like Le Creuset.
It must be tomato season somewhere in the world, because the local produce market has beautiful, ripe plum tomatoes at great prices. On a whim I bought them, knowing that if I do this, I will have to find a use for them.
On a prior post Pizza Tart, the tomatoes were used to make that delicious dish. Yes I bought a lot of tomatoes. We will be making marinara sauce with the remainder.
You will need about 12 plum tomatoes, 8 cloves of fresh garlic, ¼ cup of EVO, 20 pieces of fresh basil, 1 large onion sliced and finally salt and pepper as needed.
So in your Le Creuset or something similar, place the following:
Set the oven to 375F
- wash the tomatoes and place them in the pot. I don’t even slice them up. The heat will burst them open in the pot
- smash the garlic cloves and place them in the pot.
- place the basil leaves through between the tomatoes.
- place the sliced onion in the pot.
- drizzle the EVO on everything and place the lid and but the pot into the oven. ( about 1 hour)
- take the lid off and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- when done remove from the oven and let sit until it is no longer piping hot about 30 minutes.
- Do you have an immersion blender/hand stick blender? if so, use that and purée the tomato until it is all smooth.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, pour the COOLED contents of the pot into a blender and purée until smooth. Make sure the liquid is NOT HOT. (this can be dangerous and messy scene if the liquid is HOT)
- Taste the sauce and adjust with crushed red pepper, sea salt and pepper to your taste.
The bubbling ingredients are having a party in the pot. This is what the party looks like.
Making Authentic Marinara is soulful cooking. Using Fresh ingredients is exactly the way it was meant to be made. Make some marinara and put some soul into it, the result will be Delicioso!!!!