Bananas + Chocolate+ Custard + Whipped cream =Delicious Banana Cream Pie recipe
What do you get when you combine graham, pastry cream, fresh bananas, chocolate ganache and whipped cream? Well, you just get the best Banana cream pie recipe in South Florida. Unfortunately, if you’re not a member of the Palm Beach country club, you cannot get it -Unless you make it with the recipe below….
Anselmo Garcia is the Pastry Chef @ The Palm Beach Country Club located directly across the Atlantic Ocean in swanky Palm Beach. Pastry Chef Al, a very unassuming, uber talented master of desserts has agreed to share his banana cream pie recipe. Everything is made from scratch so it might seem a bit GRANDE. Take your time, and do everything in steps.
Let’s make the graham cracker crust & Pastry cream
Graham cracker recipe: using 9″ skillet pan or a 9″ pie pan- Chef Anselmo prepares these pies in saute pans, you can use your pie pan for the same results.
- 2 cups of crushed graham cracker
- ½ cup of melted butter
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- ¼ finely chopped nuts (optional) I like to use almonds or pecans.
In a medium bowl mix all of the above, making sure everything is well blended.
Pastry TIP: check the crust texture by putting a clump of the mixture in your palm and squeeze – if it stays together in a clump- the mixture is good and will hold up well. If it is crumbly, add some more melted butter gradually until there is no more flaky crumbs. Be-careful not to put too much butter in creating a hard crust.
First spray your pan prior to pressing the graham mixture evenly inside the pan, set aside.
Place the pan in the oven and bake for 10 min. @ 350F- set aside – Baking the crust sets the graham crust, solidifying all the ingredients into a perfect crispy crust.
Pastry Cream aka Custard recipe: This recipe is in grams. Get out your digital scale and measure in grams. Lots of good recipes are in grams and as a Pastry chef you have to adapt to them, also, measurements in grams are way more accurate than cups and ounce measurements. You can find really good scales at Chef Rubber.
- Heavy cream- 250 grams- for the whipped cream
- Milk – 500 grams
- Sugar- 130 grams
- Yolk- 2 each
- Whole Egg- 1 each
- Corn Starch – 30 grams
- Vanilla extract – ½ tablespoon
- Very Ripe banana – OR 1 tablespoon banana extract
- 1 Tablespoon of powdered gelatin
- Whip the heavy cream to soft peak and set aside ( wrapped in the fridge)
- In a medium bowl put eggs, yolks.
- combine the starch with the sugar together, mixing them until lump free, then add the mixture to the eggs and whisk by hand till smooth.
- Add vanilla and banana extract to the egg mixture. If using ripe banana, mash them up and add them to the egg mixture.
- In a small saucepan, warm the milk until its HOT, sprinkle the powdered gelatin into the warm milk, mix, then slowly pour the warm milk into the egg mixture. Whisking until smooth.
- Place the bowl containing the pastry cream/custard ontop of another larger bowl with ice to help it cool off. This is known as an ice bath. (one bowl on top of another bowl) Place a saran wrap over the custard (touching it) so a skin doesn’t form…..
- Once custard is cooled, scrape ½ of the custard mixture into the prepared graham crust. Like the picture below.
- Slice 2 small bananas and place them into the custard, Put the pan in the fridge covered with saran wrap. If you would like to create a chocolate center read on for directions. Otherwise, scrape the remainder of the custard over the bananas and finish with the whipped cream.
Soft Ganache Center recipe: 4 metal rings are needed.
- Milk 125 grams
- Heavy Cream 125 grams
- 65% converture chocolate 125 grams
- Sugar 30 grams
- Yolks 40 grams
This recipe will fill in 4- 3inch diameter rings. You can purchase these metal rings from Chef Rubber.
- put your chocolate in a bowl, set aside
- Wrap aluminum foil around the bottom of each ring and set aside on a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Scald the milk and heavy cream in a sauce pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the sugar and yolks, mixing well. Slowly pour the scalding milk mixture slowly whisking. The scalding milk will cook the yolks, then Add the chocolate to the very warm mixture and slowly stir until all the chocolate is melted.
- Using a big spoon or ladle, distribute the chocolate mixture evenly into each of the 4 rings. Set in the fridge until they harden.
Once the chocolate is set, 1 hour in the fridge should do it. Remove it from the ring and retrieve your pie in the fridge and place the chocolate ganache ring in the center of the pie.
Spread the other half of the pastry cream over the chocolate disc.
Cover the pastry cream pie with saran wrap and freeze it. This will allow you to pop out the pie once frozen for easy cutting. (OPTIONAL)
Once frozen and unfolded from the pan, spread delicious whipped cream over the entire pie. Chocolate Shavings if you have some.
Remember the chocolate ganache center is optional but very worthwhile.